Friday, October 7, 2016

Flooded With Shiny New Ideas!

It's happening again...

I have spent the last several months working on preparation for my WIP, researching, taking notes, filling notebook pages with character development exercises, possible scenes, a loose plot plan.  

Ready and excited to write, I began drafting the actual novel, one page at a time. Slow but sure, I'm adding to my word count and page count. But it's happening again...

Shiny new ideas are flooding my mind!

Every time I start a new novel this seems to happen to me, and I'm not sure why.

Am I living in a really creative mode? Maybe. I haven't quite reached the total immersion stage of writing (I still have to keep a cheat sheet of my characters' names and relationships in front of me), so I'm still in the world-building stage of writing. I'm setting up the action for the middle of the novel, discarding some ideas, embracing others. So maybe I am simply in a mode of creating ideas?

Or

Am I hedging my bets? Probably. Novels in the early stages do not look anything like the fantastic imagined stories we've prepared to write. Most of writing occurs in revision. I know that I'll need to go back and add layers of depth later. In spite of pages and pages of character prep, I still don't really know my characters yet. That comes with more scenes, more paragraphs, more pages, more plot. Revision. Revision. Revision.

I'm in the ignore the problems and push forward stage of writing. That's why all these shiny new ideas seem so great. I haven't discovered their flaws yet! I'm noting all the ideas in the back of a notebook, but I'm pushing forward so I can finish my first draft.

Then I can polish this novel--during revision!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo