Friday, April 4, 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo: Week #1

I don't have any words recorded yet. I haven't even opened a new document for my story. And I'd probably be freaking out about this lack of words on the page, if I hadn't picked up a copy of Austin Kleon's Steal Like An Artist at a museum gift shop over spring break. So nice to read little nuggets of wisdom after long days of sightseeing. 

I loved seeing a photo of his workspace:


What Kleon says about separating digital and analog work made so much sense to me--and explained why all of my work starts with a spiral notebook, scissors, colored pens, and glue. I used to think that I was procrastinating the actual writing, but now I know that I need to use my hands first to get into the story. So that's what I've been doing this week, playing around, figuring things out, taking messy notes, drawing stuff, making plans. The word count will come next! 

If you're looking for a bit of inspiration, I highly recommend Steal Like An Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo