Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Silencing That Internal Editor (Blogging Elsewhere)

A few weeks ago, I signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo, a fast-drafting novel challenge like the one in November, but during the more lazy days of August. A couple of weeks ago I started having doubts...maybe I should write the old-fashioned way, the more authentic way, the more author-ly way. You know, slow, painful, full of doubts and deleting. But then I read Jonas Lehrer's book Imagine. His chapter "Letting Go" convinced me that fast-drafting is a great way to get that first effort of a novel down on paper.

I blogged about it today on YA Outside The Lines.

So I'm off on another NaNo adventure--I figure with Camp NaNo that I'll get some care packages, make s'mores, and maybe do some arts and crafts. Watch for updates!



*** OOPS: So apparently, Lehrer used even more fiction techniques, faking some of his anecdotes, etc. Read about it here on NPR's blog. The publisher is offering refunds for people who purchased the book. I'm still going to let go while I write tomorrow, even if the Bob Dylan stuff is all bunk.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! You are amazing at NaNoWriMo, and the creative energy spirals off you like sparks from one of those spinning fireworks. It's infectious. Spin on, Sydney!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo