Thursday, January 19, 2012

On The Go with Lucienne Driver

Please welcome Lucienne Driver, author of the Vamped series. The next installment is here! You can win a copy, if you leave a comment.


You have been given your Dream Vacation. Where are you going & what are you doing?


My family and I visited mainland Greece last year, and it was amazing, but too short. In my dream vacation, we'd spend more time, at least two weeks, touring around the Greek isles and Crete. I've always wanted to see Knossos. I was an anthropology and writing double-major in college, and I think the only other place on earth I want to visit quite as much is Egypt, particularly the Valley of the Kings.


What if you could travel to a different time period? 


I'm pretty happy in modern times. Like my heroine, I have to admit to being a fan of my creature comforts. However, I think it would be amazing to travel to the height of the various civilizations as an observer... Mayan, Egyptian, Ottoman, Greek and Roman, Imperial China...


Are you a planner or seat-of-the pants traveler?


I'm a planner. I like to leave time in each day for those side trips or surprises that are often the best part of any visit, but there's always so much I want to see or do that I plan very carefully to make sure we don't miss out on a thing! For instance on that week-long trip to Greece we managed to hit Athens, the Corinth Canal, Epidaurus, Olympus, Mycenae, Delphi, Meteora, Thermopylae Pass, and Cape Sounion (for the Temple of Poseidon). I so want to go back for Delos, Santorini, Rhodes, Crete...


What's the worst thing that's happened to you on vacation?


As an adult, I've had pretty amazing vacation karma. But as kids, my sister and I nearly got swept away by the undertow on a black sand beach in Hawaii. We weren't even up to our knees in the water, but the current was so strong that we were carried away in no time. My father had to dash in and save us both. I'll never forget it. And I'll never underestimate the forces of nature. 


About the Book

What do you wear to face down a cadre of killer kids? 

Gina Covello would rather be working on her manicure than missions for the Feds’ paranormal unit to which she’s been recruited.  That changes when a group of killer kids takes out a family in the sunshine state and disappearances begin to plague the lifestylers who only play at the kind of existence our fanged fashionista leads.  She and her crew are sent undercover into the vampire clubs…which turn out to be run by real vampires.  While Gina’s BFF Marcy hangs with the steampunk-styled Burgess Brigade that seems to have spawned the killer kids, Gina herself is supposed to get in good with the fanged fiends behind the scenes, even to the point of playing double-agent, offering to hand over her powerful boyfriend Bobby.  Her playacting threatens to become a bit too real when she discovers things about her spy handlers that make her wonder whether she’s truly on the right side of the battle between Feds and fangs.

“As ever, Gina's feisty, funny narration carries the day. Gina never fails to please, as she strides down the runway of afterlife with just the right mix of humor, make-up advice, youthful lust that never crosses the line and a kung-fu style all her own. This one doesn’t miss a beat.” Kirkus Reviews

About The Author

Lucienne Diver is the author of the popular Vamped series of young adult novels (think Clueless meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer).  School Library Journal calls the first book, “a lighthearted, action-packed, vampire romance story following in the vein of Julie Kenner’s “Good Ghouls” (Berkley), Marlene Perez’s “Dead” (Harcourt), and Rachel Caine’s “The Morganville Vampires” (Signet) series.” VOYA has suggested that the books “will attract even reluctant readers.”

Her short stories have been included in the Strip-Mauled and Fangs for the Mammaries anthologies edited by Esther Friesner (Baen Books), and one of her essays appears in the anthology Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories (HarperTeen). 


To win a copy of the book, please leave a comment. See Lucienne's website for more contests! 

7 comments:

  1. Aw...how can you go wrong w/a Clueless/Buffy combo?! Sounds great.

    (And can I stowaway on that Greek vacation?? I'll bring my own hummus...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek!!

    Loved this cover!
    Looks sooo great!
    Thanks for the giveaway Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Niii, is that as in "The Knights Who Say..."? Love it!

      If anyone wants to read about that trip to Greece (or just look at the pictures), I blogged it!

      Day 1: http://varkat.livejournal.com/202719.html
      Day 2: http://varkat.livejournal.com/202919.html
      Day 3: http://varkat.livejournal.com/203177.html
      Day 4: http://varkat.livejournal.com/203360.html
      Day5: http://varkat.livejournal.com/203853.html
      Day 6: http://varkat.livejournal.com/204054.html
      Day 7: http://varkat.livejournal.com/204371.html

      Delete
  3. Bethany, thanks, it's been a blast to write, I can tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think as an "Greece Historical Buff" I would of course go to Greece and visit all the old sites and then spend some time in Crete. Taking pictures and filming galore. This a great contest, I would love to read this book. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clueless meets Buffy? That's got to be good! I'd love to be entered to win.
    khashway(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wilma, I really want to get back there to do the Greek isles and Crete! I've always wanted to see Knossos, in particular. We were only on the mainland this trip and only for a week, but I took over 1000 photos!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo