Wednesday, January 18, 2012

On The Go with Eileen Cook


Welcome Eileen Cook! If you'd like to win a copy of Unraveling Isobel, please leave a comment.
1. You have been given your Dream Vacation. Where are you going & what are you doing?
Oooh hard question, so much depends on my mood.  I love mucking about in Europe poking in old castles, but lying on a beach with a book is never a bad thing either.
2. What if you could travel to a different time period?
I love history so it would be fun to go back to Tudor England. However, I also love my modern toys. I’d miss my laptop and phone if I went back in time, not to mention indoor plumbing and hot showers.
3. Are you a planner or a seat-of-the pants traveler?
I come from a family of travel planners. When my parents go on vacation they know exactly what they want to see, when, what time and where they will eat.  It drives them crazy because my husband and I are much more by the seat of our pants travelers. I like to leave things open so I can explore or spend more time in a place without feeling rushed. Some of my best travel experiences have been random accidents.
4. What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you on vacation?
I find a lot of bad travel experiences are funny when they’re all over.  I traveled with a friend once and we ended up in this complete dive of a hotel. There was a hole in the bathroom that looked down into the room below. (And yes, they could look up).  The bed linen had someone else’s hair on it and the blanket must have been a bathroom mat at one point because it has a rubber backing. The place was nasty, but there was nowhere else to go until the next day.  I slept in my clothes.


About the Book:

Isobel’s life is falling apart. Her mom just married some guy she met on the internet only three months before, and is moving them to his sprawling, gothic mansion off the coast of nowhere. Goodbye, best friend. Goodbye, social life. Hello, icky new stepfather, crunchy granola town, and unbelievably good-looking, officially off-limits stepbrother.
But on her first night in her new home, Isobel starts to fear that it isn’t only her life that’s unraveling—her sanity might be giving way too. Because either Isobel is losing her mind, just like her artist father did before her, or she’s seeing ghosts. Either way, Isobel’s fast on her way to being the talk of the town for all the wrong reasons.

“This blend of paranormal romance, murder mystery and quirky, coming-of-age narrative offers tasty moments….Cook gives readers a fast-paced plot, a likable narrator, and interesting characters.” -Kirkus

"Isobel, all snark and sharp edges covering some intense vulnerability as she continuously checks in to see if she has crossed into mental illness (as her father did when she was young), is a compelling narrator."-  Horn Book Magazine

About the Author:

Eileen Cook is a multi-published author with her novels appearing in six different languages. She spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer. 

You can read more about Eileen, her books, and the things that strike her as funny at www.eileencook.com.  Eileen lives in Vancouver with her husband and two dogs and no longer wishes to be anyone or anywhere else.

Want to win a copy? Leave a comment by Tuesday, January 24th at midnight! 

7 comments:

  1. Did you say Gothic mansion? I'm SOLD.

    And Tudor England is such a hot bed of...well, hot men!

    speaktobidisha@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Castles in Europe looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooo, I would love to win a copy of Unraveling Isobel. It sounds fantastic. And I just finished reading The Education of Hailey Kendrick and loved it. So, I guess you could say I'm a brand new Eileen Cook fan. I love discovering new (to me) authors.

    ruthschiffmann (at) hotmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the precise blog for anybody who needs to find out about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eileen Cook is like, one of my favourite authors! The Education of Hailey Kendrick is a must-have for teenaged girls hahaha. :)

    paradisified(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The story is interesting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eileen Cook spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo