Monday, May 9, 2011

An Argument Against E-Readers

Yesterday I snuck away with a good book (Stolen by Lucy Christopher) to soak my feet in the lotions and potions my husband gave me for Mother's Day.



I lit a candle, swished my toes in the fragrant bubbles, and read... Until my kitten Minnie joined me. And fell in the tub. Twice.

A much drier, but still embarrassed, Minnie.
(I wasn't going to interrupt my foot bath--or this great story--to take a wet cat photo.)

While I rescued Minnie, my book tipped off my lap into the sudsy water.



My first thought: I'm so glad this isn't an e-reader! Minnie skittered away, trailing her soaked tail, and I kept reading, carefully turning each wet page (it's a seriously compelling story!).



So, between not being able to read in the bathtub (or poolside or at the beach), and not being able to read during airplane take-offs and landings, I think I'll stick with paper books.

Like Minnie, I tend to be a bit klutzy.

3 comments:

  1. Sydney,
    I have given you an award! Come and claim the item at:
    http://thepartypony.blogspot.com/2011/05/eat-me-blog-award-that-will-swell-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear people saying how cool it is that they can put their eReader into a Ziploc bag and then it's safe to take it to the beach or the tub. Um, okay, but I don't have to put a traditional book in a Ziploc bag, or charge its battery, or download anything to it... Hmmm... I'm clinging to my printed books a little longer, folks.

    I actually blogged about this today so I loved reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your post too, Shelli. http://www.shellicornelison.com/2011/05/printed-books-eternal-flame-or-up-in.html

    And I totally agree about not needing to charge batteries, etc. Paper books are always ready to go!

    Thanks for the award, Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo