Thursday, February 3, 2011

Work-In-Progress: The End

Yesterday after I announced celebrating the completion of my first draft, a friend confessed to me that she didn't experience joy in finishing her recent manuscript--because she felt as if there was so much more work to do.

Yes, I have much more work to do: characters to round, subplots to weave with thicker yarn, themes to emphasize...

But today I blissfully mismanaged my time. I nibbled the congratulatory chocolates I mailed to myself--while reading a book for pleasure; I took a long walk in the middle of the day; I flitted about online, window-shopping; I played long games of fetch with my kitten. I still haven't showered. And maybe I won't.

Yesterday I hosted a cupcake party for my daughters. Living with a writer isn't easy--I space off mid-conversation, talk about people who don't actually exist, sneak away from home on weekends, and ask weird questions about plot possibilities--again for a story that doesn't yet exist. The revision process is only more obsessive--so we all deserved a treat.

The truffles, however, were all mine. I stretched myself with this manuscript, trying out a new genre, working hard, fighting doubt and fear, finding courage. I learn so much with each story I write--no matter if it ever reaches a bookstore or not. And that's something to celebrate!

I urge you to mark your own milestones by doing something fun & slightly indulgent. Finding joy in the process of completing a big task--like a polished, ready-to-submit manuscript--is the best part of the journey.

Do to the fact that I have not yet showered, Minnie will be starring in today's vlog:




Just don't tell my mother that I've posted a cat video online (she'll never let me hear the end of it!)

2 comments:

  1. Oh! That's the cutest thing I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. Celebrating milestones is important. It's just easier to celebrate other people's -- so Yea, Sydney! (Glad Minnie knows how to celebrate, too.)

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo