Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stories That Inspire Travel...

I'm itching to escape cold short February days and find some adventure! And I blame books. Books that bring settings or history alive in a way that makes me really, really want to see it for myself.


Wouldn't a trip to Paris be wonderful? I found myself wanting to explore the catacombs and drink my own bowl of coffee after reading Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. Croissants. Lots of croissants. A blister-inducing day at The Louvre. I could see Degas work--the sculptures that inspired Marie, Dancer by Carolyn Meyer.




Or maybe I should visit China--I really, really want to visit China--to see the landscape that inspires mystical tales like Where The Mountain Meets The Moon by Grace Lin and Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon. Oh, how I craved Chinese takeout after reading that one!


One vacation, much closer to home, that I'm determined to take this year: Yellowstone National Park. I want to see the geysers again through the eyes of Maggie from Janet Fox's novel Faithful. Or maybe I'd spot wolves like the characters in Wolves, Boys, And Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler.


Sigh. I'm not going anywhere soon. But I'll keep reading about far-off adventures. Which books made you want to book a plane ticket?

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to travel to Paris with revolution!
    I agree...Lots of croissants!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even need a book to get me to think about travel. My grocery list can do it: bananas, coconut, cinnamon, coffee... Somebody get me to the Caribbean, quick!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo