Thursday, November 11, 2010

Writing More Emails Than Fiction

In addition to writing, I'm also a Regional Advisor for the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI). I hold monthly meetings & organize conferences in Utah and Idaho (with the help of my assistant Neysa Jensen in Boise). I love helping aspiring writers & illustrators improve their craft & make those helpful connections. Just like Carol Lynch Williams & Rick Walton did for me when I was just starting out. 


Children's writers are friendly like that! 


Volunteering as a Regional Advisor has also helped me learn skills I've needed as an author. I'm no longer a shy speaker & by promoting others I've gotten better at promoting myself.


Today I ended up on NPR--part conference promotion & part celebrating our supportive Utah writing community. Take a listen! http://tinyurl.com/29pop8g


So this week I'm spending more time phoning caterers, taking last minute conference registrations, and answering emails instead of adding to my WIP word-count. But maybe I'll have some small part in helping someone else's publishing dream come true.


And that's totally worth it!  

2 comments:

  1. Isn't this "Writers' World" something? You start out writing books and end up doing all kinds of interesting other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. Thanks for sharing the NPR article. But even more thanks goes to all the help you give to newbie writers like me. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo