Wednesday, November 24, 2010

NCTE, Magic & Many Mickey Mouses







Today I'm shoveling snow, but last weekend I played in the sunshine with many of my favorite author friends in Orlando, Florida at NCTE. My roomie, Lauren Bjorkman, and I also snuck away from conference duties for a little Magic Kingdom fun. Mickey Mouse, here we come!




I started spotting Mickey Mouse everywhere--starting with my breakfast waffle! 




I decided to find other unusual Mickey Mouse products. Hungry?




Enjoy some Mickey Mouse butter on your Mickey Mouse waffle.




I found Mickey Mouse lollipops, chocolates, and pasta. Oh, and lots of kitchen items. 




Pizza cutters, spoons, measuring cups, pot holders... Done eating? Time to play!




Toss your Mickey Mouse baseball around. Or scratch your back. I seriously started thinking that I could replace every item in my house with something Mickey. 


We had a great day--we even rode Space Mountain twice. Zoom!!! Before heading back to the hotel, we treated ourselves to some ice cream--shaped like Mickey Mouse, of course! 



I loved chatting with so many wonderful, innovative teachers during our roundtable discussion. Much thanks to my co-presenters Lauren Bjorkman (My Invented Life), Jen Dutton (Stranded), Janet Fox (Faithful), Cheryl Herbsman (Breathing), Edie Hemingway (Road To Tater Hill), Danielle Joseph (Indigo Blues), Rosanne Parry (Heart Of A Shepherd), and Joy Preble (Dreaming Anastasia). We discussed all aspects of girl characters' fictional journeys & ways to help readers connect with literature. 

I did come home with a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt... And lots of Advance Reader Copies of books I can't wait to read.



On my last day, I spotted soap bubble Mickey on the hotel towel carts...




I kind of miss the guy! 


Leave a comment to win one my favorite girl characters with you--Roz from My Invented Life by Lauren Bjorkman. 
Entries accepted until midnight, December 1, 2010.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Sounds like a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read it! Disney world would be a lot of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are ready to go back to CA, but I think it'd be fun to try FL (I havent been there in 15 years). Looks like a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fun!! And I would love to read My Invented Life!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thw waffle looks great!

    And i would l-o-v-e-d read My Invented Life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you guys had so much fun.

    I interviewed Lauren for my blog right after her book came out and she's awesome. Would love to read My Invented Life. Would be awesome to catch a missed opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Invented Life *--* I want so much to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo