Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Breaking Up With Denise Jaden

Today I'm excited to welcome Denise Jaden, author of the debut novel Losing Faith. Here's her breakup story:
Break-ups are never fun, but I do have one story that still makes me laugh. (And I'll be SO embarrassed if my ex ever reads this, so the names have been changed for MY protection!)

When I was sixteen, I dated a guy named...Steve, for a short time. We met at a campground where a whole group of us teenagers met up regularly. We'd been dating for a couple of weeks, and I was excited for the coming week, because I would be staying with my aunt in Vancouver, where Steve happened to live, and I would get to see him regularly.

Steve met me on Monday after my summer acting school practice on Granville
Island. I could tell something was wrong when I first saw him by the way he wouldn't meet my eye. But when challenged, he just said we'd talk about it later. Well, have you ever successfully put something like that off with a sixteen-year-old girl? Yeah, I didn't think so.

So I kept pushing him and begging him to tell me now, and finally, as we walked across the Granville Street Bridge, he did. Apparently, this girl he'd liked FOREVER had just broken up with her boyfriend. He wasn't about to cheat on me, but he also wasn't about to let this Sonja girl get away either. So he knew he had to tell me.

Now, to be honest, I was sad. I did like the guy quite a bit. But it HADonly been two weeks, so I wasn't heartbroken or anything. I decided to give Steve a hard time anyway. I told him I was so upset I was going to jump off the bridge.

Yes, I did say that.

But I eventually let him off the hook...just in time to reach downtown Vancouver where Red Sonja happened to be the movie playing in Every Single Theatre. So yeah, I gave Steve a hard time about that too.

To round off our day, a photographer from one of Vancouver's biggest newspapers, The Province, approached us on the street. Would you believe he was photographing Vancouver's Happiest Couples that day and wanted to take our picture?

No lie. Happiest couple, we were not, but we did have  a great laugh over the whole thing - and I eventually promised Steve I wouldn't jump off any bridges.

About Losing Faith: 


When Brie's sister, Faith, dies in a fall from a cliff, Brie's world falls apart. As she goes through the bizarre and devastating process of mourning the sister she never understood, Brie must also contend with increasingly distant parents, her boyfriend's betrayal, and her sudden outcast status at school. And once she's over the initial shock of Faith's death, Brie is encountering more questions than closure. Certain facts about the way Faith died just don't line up. She soon uncovers Faith's role in a dark and twisted religious cult...a cult that now wants Brie as a member. On sale - September 7, 2010 from Simon Pulse.

Find out more at 
www.denisejaden.com  (Seriously, check it out--she's giving away lots & lots of fun prizes!!!!)

12 comments:

  1. Haha..this is one of the most amazing break-up stories I've heard :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, you just had to scare this guy's mind don't you? lol. People shouldn't take break-ups so seriously....oh yeah, tell that to your heart, there's no way you'll ever get out of a relationship without feeling a little sad or heartbroken. The "let's be friends" after you've already dated and broken up with him does not always work.

    Thanks for sharing this experience, Denise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The happiest couple -- too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny story and I can't believe you actually said that to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, love the part about the happiest couple (oh the irony...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The two of you must have looked pretty happy post-breakup to be approached by the photographer! Thanks for sharing this. It made me laugh :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but it's good that you're able to laugh about it later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, hahah! I would never have the guts to say that to a guy! You are insane (in a good was xD)

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for laughing with me and not at me (hopefully - lol). And thanks so much, Sydney, for hosting me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is hilarious!!! Imagine if he waited to tell you AFTER the photographer... hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story. I cant only imagine the panic he must have felt.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo