Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Breaking Up with Shari Maurer

Please welcome Shari Maurer, debut author of Change of Heart. Leave a comment about her breakup story, and you may win a copy of her book! Here's Shari:

When I was eighteen, I was up at sleepaway camp, thrilled to be together with my boyfriend after spending most of the school year in different states. We had waited all year for camp and were enjoying our summer.

Until he tore his meniscus, cartilage in his knee, and needed to go home for surgery. A misplaced soccer kick had ruined all of our plans. I moped around camp while back at home he was having his knee repaired. My boyfriend was not to be deterred and didn’t want to blow our time together, so a few days after the surgery, he came back to camp with a cast from his ankle to his waist. Like a trouper, he crutched around camp, trying to supervise his campers and trying to hang out with me as much as possible.

I thought everything was great until we had a day off and went to Albany with a group of fellow counselors. My boyfriend was a little grumpy, but I chalked it up to the discomfort from the giant cast. During a quiet moment in the trip, the two of us were walking separately from the group and I asked him what was up. With tears in his eyes, he told me he was horribly jealous of all the guys I had been hanging with while he was away (yes, you read earlier that I was miserable the whole time he was away—there was no flirting and hooking up with anyone, only pining for him). He couldn’t get past this jealousy and wanted to break up with me.

What?!! He wanted to break up with me because he liked me so much he was jealous of other guys? What kind of warped logic was that? I burst into tears and told him there was no way I was letting him break up with me, giving him a deep, long kiss that had to have made my intentions clear.

Every once in a while, I’ll turn to him as we’re sitting on the couch in our house, watching our three kids running around, and remind him he almost blew it!



Aw... Aren't they cute?!? Thanks for the happy ending Shari!

More about Change of Heart
When you’re 16 years old, it never occurs to you that you might die. Emmi Miller’s got a fabulous life. She has tons of friends, does great in school and is an all-star soccer player who played in Europe last summer. It even looks like Sam Hunter, a totally cute baseball player, might be interested in her. And then she gets a virus. No biggy, right? Until the virus goes to her heart and weakens it so much that, without a transplant, Emmi will die.

Will Emmi get a heart in time? Is Sam too good to be true? What about her new friend Abe, who has also had a transplant and guides her through these scary times — is he just being supportive or is there more going on between them? And will Emmi realize it before it’s too late?

More About Shari
Shari Maurer's life has always been full of "heart." Married to a cardiologist, she is the co-author of The Parent's Guide to Children's Congenital Heart Defects. After graduating from Duke University and NYU, she spent six years at the Children's Television Workshop (now Sesame Workshop) working on International versions of Sesame Street and other kids' programs. Shari lives in New City, New York, with her husband, Mat, and their children, Lissie, Josh, and Eric. Change of Heart is her first young adult novel. www.sharimaurer.com

To win your own copy of Shari's novel, please leave a comment by midnight, Tuesday, June 22, 2010.
Open to anyone, anywhere in the world.

8 comments:

  1. No need to enter me, I already own this awesome book, but that guy was definitely a keeper. He was darn lucky, too. Shari, how'd you get so smart at such a young age???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Behind every smart guy, there is a smarter, wiser and more loving woman...Thank God this "future" cardiologist listened to Shari and even now, it's, "yes, dear...whatever you say, dear." I know, because I have heard him...Just like my hubby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. That was super sweet. I'm glad she didn't let him breakup with her for something stupid. This gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha..this just made my day. I'm so glad your boyfriend went on to become your husband (after almost blowing it). That's so cute!

    And your book sounds amazing. I'd so love to win it *begs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought for a minute this story was gonna go like that of someone I know (not me): her boyfriend broke his leg and she dutifully nursed him back to health, then he got his cast off and broke up with her on her 16th birthday with a dozen roses. (The breakup was in the little card.)So glad this one was a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Sydney and Shari!
    I loved Shari's break-up story because I'm also married to my teen sweetheart. The book blurb sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Skaputziner! You've won a copy of Change Of Heart. Please email me at sydneysalter AT mac DOT com with your mailing information. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo