Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Clever or Cruel?

I got really excited--and my heart rate picked up a bit--when I spotted this abandoned near the airport luggage carousel on my spring vacation (I love finding pennies, so this was a real coup!):


Looking around to see if anyone had accidentally dropped it--nope--I eagerly picked it up. And discovered that it was, well, not exactly what I imagined:


Yup. It was a business card. Soon we spotted those $100 teasers everywhere: sitting atop suitcases chugging around the luggage carousel, underneath men's loafers, casually lounging on nearby chairs. My daughters gathered several, and I kept mine. So all throughout our vacation, we looked like the kind of people who use $100 bills as bookmarks. And I'm sure we made more than one hotel employee feel incredibly honest as a casually left bill on the nightstand was moved to a more "secure" location.

But I'm still trying to decide if this is a really clever business card--or a cruel hoax. What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I think it's mean but only because I would have totally fallen for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like negative advertising to me...the questions is, is any kind of advertising end up doing what you want it to do...call attention to your business.
    Personally, I wouldn't go to that business, but some people will..
    Like movies with bad reviews call attention and more people go to see it becuase they want to see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valynne,I totally thought I'd found vacation spending $$$. And I agree, Margaret, something about it turns me off--and I don't think I'd go to the business. But it is attention getting that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say clever! Too funny. My son has found a $100 bill on our front lawn AND a $50 bill in the parking lot of Costco. My guess is... if he'd seen this, it would have turned out to be real!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suey, I walked through Beverly Hills and only found a nickel. What a lucky son you have!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo