Friday, February 19, 2010

Pop Singers Need Editors. Right, Kesha?

I love a catchy pop song (Owl City's "Fireflies" just makes me feel happy, you know?). But lately I've been thinking that pop singers really need editors. Take Kesha's "Tick Tock" song. Okay, aside from the fact that Jack Daniels will likely never make the American Dental Association's list of approved toothpastes, it's this lyric that drives me crazy:

"Now, the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got
swagger
But we kick 'em to the curb unless they look like Mick
Jaggar."

What?!?!?!


These clubbing cuties are looking for old, craggy guys? If I tried to put this line in a novel, my editor would be, like, um, have you SEEN Mick Jaggar? She'd never let me get away with something just because it sounds good.

Maybe Kesha thinks her listeners are too young to know Mick Jagger. The other day "Tick Tock" came on as I drove my 10 year old to art lessons. Having already discussed the use of Jack Daniels in dental hygiene, I said:

"The thing is--Mick Jagger's not very good-looking."
"Oh, I know," she said.
"You know who Mick Jaggar is?"
"I googled him."
"Oh."

I quickly asked her to never, never, never google things she hears in Lady GaGa songs. Later I found out my teenager daughter had become a Facebook fan of the group: I Don't Think Kesha Knows What Mick Jagger Looks Like! (She's also the one who explains Lady GaGa songs to me.)

So why aren't pop songs edited? My friends who write picture books sure aren't allowed to get away with convenient rhymes. I'm not allowed to put things that don't make sense in my novels.

Or could it be that the teen vampire obsession has taken a new twist and really old guys are the new hotties...

Here's the song if you haven't heard it:




Catchy, huh?

10 comments:

  1. Totally agree with the Mick Jagger thing. But then again, it would actually take work to find another word that rhymes with swagger.

    And the other line that is kind of weird is "Wake up in the morning feeling like P. Diddy." Not sure how it makes sense for her to say something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Fireflies song, too. And the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe she's saying, if they look like Mick Jagger they don't kick them to the curb because they might break a hip?

    Mick Jagger wasn't hot when he was young either. He's just a weird looking guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to wake up feeling like P. Diddy this morning, but I couldn't do it, Valynne. And Amy you crack me up!!!

    Kaylie, I'll have to check out the Fireflies video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Sydney. I have to disagree with you about Fireflies, but I'll agree about Kesha. Oh boy. Too funny about your girls. I'm taking note now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy- Your comment made me giggle hysterically for a few minutes and still makes me giggle when I think about it.

    Sydney- What's funny about this is that my roommate and I were just talking about this the other day. One of my friends has also pointed it out too. It does seem odd.

    Also, that's funny that your girls explain Lady Gaga songs to you. What do you need explained though?

    ReplyDelete
  7. mcjaggers her dad, thats the creepiest part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha ha...nice post Sydney...I think the contemporary pop singers should be sent to these Cabbie-oke cabs to karaoke..wonder if they would get any votes? lol..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Book Chic--I kind of needed verification that the Disco Stick was what I thought it was... "Is that--?" "Um, yeah, mom, like, duh."

    I love the Cabbie-oke, Zaana! Let's hear those pop singers without all the voice correction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kesha has a taste in men who are fat with full beard and mustaches so is it that far fetched to say she likes mick jagger? really people its just a song.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo