Wednesday, February 3, 2010

New York Part One: Non-Conference Fun

I never think about how quiet my neighborhood sounds until I'm in New York, twenty-three stories in the sky and still hearing honking taxis and rumbling garbage trucks (I love watching all the people and zippy yellow cabs). This year my room overlooked Grand Central Station.

Before the conference started, I put on my most comfortable shoes and headed off to The Metropolitan Museum to say hello to some of my favorite Renoir, Monet, Gauguin, and Van Goghs, etc.--plus the mummies and all those medieval knights in armor. I pretty much love it all (except I can't get into the displays of dishes and furniture). Here I am acting all Gossip Girly on the front steps. XOXO.
The next day I visited the Guggenheim, my absolute favorite place to see art. The show was a really interesting performance art piece that allowed the visitor to participate in a series of deep conversations with actors. So cool! I'm still thinking about it. I also visited some of my favorite Picasso, Miro, and Klee paintings (but most of the museum was left empty--which was absolutely intriguing).

I also had my first New York book signing at Books Of Wonder, a fabulous indie store that even has a cupcake cafe inside. Yes! Here's a photo of Lisa Greenwald, JT Dutton, me, Ann Haywood Leal, Ellen Hopkins, Albert Borris, and Fran Cannon Slayton reading from our books and answering audience questions.

My other favorite activity is riding the subway (fantastic people watching). On our last afternoon, my husband and I just got off at random stops and walked all over the city. I finally got blisters on my toes, but it was totally worth it. Here's a picture of my favorite subway musician. He played electronic music while his dolls danced. I couldn't look away!

We also love eating our way through New York. On our random subway adventure, we found an amazing little cheesecake shop. But we made a special trip to eat Lombardi's Pizza. Yum!!!

I also went to a couple of nice restaurants (something I rarely do at home). My editor took me out to a lovely three course lunch with my publicist. We had tons of fun chatting about all kinds of things from books to travel to TV. I also met my agent for coffee to talk about my Work-In-Progress novel (I'm super excited to start revising now). And then the conference began...

I'll share bits of wisdom in my next post.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like so much fun. I can't wait for more details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great time we had at Books of Wonder! Great picture! It was fun to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The subway musician you liked is very entertaining with his dolls. I hope you will get to see the 'Saw Lady' - she is a famous NYC subway musician, playing the musical saw, wearing a shirt that says: www.SawLady.com . I saw her performing at the Utah Arts Festival many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got to the conference. I hated missing this year, but life got in the way. Thanks for at least giving me a taste of what I missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you got to share a table with some cool authors. I hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NY is beautiful. I went for a whirlwind trip for 3 days and didnt have enough time to see everything. I'd LOVE to go back.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo