Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Guest Nose Kristen Walker

Today it's my pleasure to welcome author Kristen Walker, author of the funny debut novel Match Made In High School. You won't forget your sunscreen after reading her story. Oh, and I'm giving away a copy of her book too!

Kristin writes:
I was unfortunate enough to grow up just before scientists linked sunburns to skin cancer. It was also a time devoid of anything resembling good fashion. It was the 80s, and that meant tan skin, a pastel Polo shirt, and a pair of Hawaiian-print Jams. Plus, a bad perm, blue eyeshadow, and pale pink iridescent lipstick. I, being a Euro-Scandinavian mongrel, have always been as pale as paper.

But the summer I was 15, I decided that I was going to get a tan. So one day, I laid out in the sun from 10AM to 4PM. On the beach. In a bikini. With a glistening coat of baby oil smeared over my entire body.
That evening, I didn't feel too bad. But somewhere in the middle of the night, the pain kicked in.

When I woke up, I was glowing a nuclear red. For the next week, I was in agony. I had to go to cheerleading camp with shreds of skin falling off my arms and face like birch bark. By the end of it, a full layer of skin had peeled off my entire body. It was disgusting and embarrassing. And sure didn't make me tan.
Needless to say, I'm a sunblock fanatic now. I pride myself on my translucently-pale skin. I know the damage was done, though. But at least I don't have to wear blue eyeshadow and Jams anymore.

About A Match Made In High School

When a mandatory marriage education course forces Fiona to “try the knot” with super-jock Todd Harding, she’s convinced life could not possibly get any worse. Until moments later, when her long-time crush is paired with her arch-enemy (otherwise known as Todd’s obscenely hot, slightly sadistic girlfriend). But that's nothing compared to her best friend's fate--a year with the very shy, very goofy, very big Johnny Mercer.

A series of hilarious pranks and misunderstandings leave Fiona wondering: is there somethign her supposed "best friend" hasn't told her? Could there be more to Johnny Mercer than a deep voice and an awesome music collection? And perhaps most intriguing of all, is it possible that Todd Harding could actually have a heart--and a brain--beneath his pretty-boy exterior? Buy the book at Amazon or Indiebound.

About Kristin Walker

Kristin Walker grew up roaming the Pennsylvania countryside. She finally landed at Penn State, where she earned a BA in Theatre Arts. In addition to being actor, Kristin was many things on her way to becoming an author, such as a lifeguard, a nanny, a beginning ballroom dance instructor, a library circulation clerk, and very nearly a nurse. A Match Made in High SchoolLadybug, Wee Ones, and two Chicken Soup for the Soul books. Kristin lives in a Chicago suburb with her husband and three sons. Find out more at: www.kristin-walker.com

To win a copy of Match Made In High School, please leave a comment by Tuesday, February 23rd.

14 comments:

  1. That's a funny story. I, too, am just not meant to have tan skin. If I get freckles, that's the best I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, I think all the 80's fashion is actually making a come back. Have you heard Emily Wing Smith's sunburn story? You'll have to ask her about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! I loved this book! it was so cute[:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story Kristin. Sun burns-- ouch!

    I tweeted to spread the word! =D

    kate.readthisbook (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. In high school, I went skiing with my best friend, and we forgot that sun in the winter is just as potent as sun in the summer. No sunblock, and hours spent looking up at the sun while on the ski lift, yelling "I love sun!" My British Isles pale skin burned so bad my face blistered. Imagine walking around the school, senior year, with your face blistered, cracking, and oozing, and your male friends doing everything they can to make you laugh so your skin cracks and hurts even more. I'm a sunblock believer now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the awesome giveaway Sydney. I really really want a chance to read this book ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome giveaway, thank you for the chance to win

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek, I have been dying for this one!

    faked_sugartone at hotmail

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds really interesting! I totally sympathize with the sunburn story. It makes me cringe just reading it :/

    Chloe
    lookaftermyheart1901(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. OUCH! But I remember doing things like that!

    foltzsfantasticbooks at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! Thanks for sharing your story. I wont forget my sundblock ever. :] The novel sounds cute, fun and awesome. Count me in! Love to read it.

    Sue
    okibi_insanity[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a great book! Please sign me up.

    nancyecdavis AT bellsouth DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I hope that I am not too late. This looks so great and I would love to be entered!

    latomli (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo