Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Breaking Up With Alexandra Diaz

Welcome to my new feature: break up stories. My main character in Swoon At Your Own Risk has a problem collecting ex-boyfriends so all throughout 2010, I'll be hosting guest authors, various kinds of professionals, and others who have experienced a breakup.

Today I'm excited to introduce debut author Alexandra Diaz. Her first novel, Of All The Stupid Things (Egmont USA), has just hit the shelves. Leave a comment below and enter to win a copy!

Here's what Alexandra has to say about breaking up:

While some people might have great stories about one break up or another, in my experience there are two kinds of breaks ups.

The first one starts off with me assuming that everything is going fine. I enjoy his company, he seems to enjoy mine. But then he stops calling. Or doesn’t return my calls. The paranoid side of me wonders what I did wrong and checks to makes sure everything is ok. His silent treatment continues and I get frustrated and angry. I scream in my head that if he wants me, he can make the effort to contact me himself. He never does and eventually I take the hint that I’ve been dumped by the silent treatment.

The second kind of break up is often a mutual decision, though more often then not suggested by him, because we’re moving apart personally, emotionally, or geographically. These are the breaks ups where we end up as friends, or at least that’s the plan. I find myself hoping he moves on quickly because the break up is more painful than I anticipated though I know getting back together is not the solution.

It’s always hard finding myself in these situations, after all no one like rejection even if it is a mutual or necessary decision. I just have to keep reminding myself that the break up is ultimately for the best, but also accept that things might take some time, and that’s ok too.

More About Alexandra:

Alexandra Diaz is a Cuban-American spending her time between Bath, England, Santa Fe, NM, and the rest of the world. She has an MA in Writing for Young People and has led various workshops since she was fourteen. As a result of being homeschooled for most of high school, she's fascinated by teenage school life and the drama that occurs in those quarters. One of the reasons she writes is to experience life in someone else's shoes. She is a "jenny of all trades" having worked as a nanny, teacher, film extra, tour guide, and dairy goat judge (seriously) among several other jobs. In addition to traversing the world, she enjoys hiking, swing dancing, and the prospect of flying. Find out more at: www.alexandra-diaz.com

About Of All The Stupid Things:

When a rumor starts circulating that Tara’s boyfriend has been with one of the guy cheerleaders, the innuendo doesn’t just hurt Tara. It marks the beginning of the end for three lifelong friends. Tara’s training for a marathon, but also running from her fear of abandonment from her father. Whitney Blaire seems to have everything, but an empty mansion and absentee parents leave her looking for her own value in the wrong places. And Pinkie has a compulsive need to mother everyone to make up for the mama she’s never stopped missing. Then the new girl arrives in school and Tara starts to feel things she’s never felt for before for a girl. Can the girls’ friendship survive when all the rules have changed?

To win a copy Of All The Stupid Things leave a comment. The contest is open to anyone in the world, but it closes on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 (please leave contact info).

If you have your own breakup story you'd like to share, email me at sydneysalter AT mac DOT com.


9 comments:

  1. Wow, how do you find all these interesting authors? A dairy goat judge? That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice and thanks for sharing your story, Alexandra!

    Thanks for the contest, Sydney :)

    Kelsey
    kelseythebookscout at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, breakups, I think everyone has at least one good story to tell.

    Great giveaway!
    Elie
    zenfoxflowerATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview. Boy, I think that at one point, we all have a relationship that ends in a breakup...even those that we do not want to see end.

    How does one become a dairy goat judge?

    Of All the Stupid Things sounds very interesting and I would love to be entered.

    Lori
    latomli (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview and this book looks interesting!

    Thanks for the contest!!!

    Stacey
    secsec1 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great book! I'd like to enter the contest :) xashxnightx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. interesting post! would love to win as well :)
    ADDICTEDTOBOOKS1993@YAHOO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  8. well yes, she enjoys hiking and swing dancing. I don't know if she has flyed yet. However, I would like to add tha she loooooves ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, I agree with you Alexandra.

    Jenny
    jen4777[at]hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo