10. I cleaned my desk & found a whole bunch of things I should've done--oh, about six weeks ago.
9. I cleared away dangerous towers of clutter hovering on various surfaces around the house. I found more stuff I should've done, oh, about six weeks ago. I also found a book I've been wanting to read, but had lost amidst the clutter.
8. I made celebratory fudge. Twice. The first batch didn't turn out quite as creamy as it could have so I made another one the next day. That batch turned out so well that I really should make another...
7. I got back into my exercise routine. A necessary part of the fudge-for-breakfast diet.
6. I did some holiday shopping in a real mall, instead of going online to buy gifts every time I hit a tricky spot in the middle of chapter twenty-three. I realized that I prefer shopping online.
5. I finally wrote up comments for a manuscript from a promising new writer I met during a conference critique. I felt so guilty about making her wait for, oh, about six weeks.
4. I'm reading like crazy--novels, nonfiction, all kinds of stuff!
3. I'm finally cleaning my house--because I'm hosting the 4th grade book club. That's pretty much what it takes: company. And my 4th grader will be disappointed if I don't spread a bit more holiday cheer around the house before her friends arrive. So, I'll be decorating.
2. I tried to be really supportive about my mother's very color-coordinated holiday decorating. She's sorely disappointed and possibly perplexed about the fact that I don't care about that kind of thing. I just want her to read my manuscript. But I've promised myself not to nag her until this weekend. And her house does look great.
1. I've been working on a synopsis for the next story I want to write. For me, it's always about the next story.
What I haven't done: folded the laundry. I'm hoping that this will finally be the week that my family decides that the Great Matching Sock Hunt is actually a fun, challenging way to begin the day.
I plan to start revising tomorrow... because my manuscript hogs the covers!