Sunday, October 25, 2009

In My Mailbox (11)

Yesterday I took my 8th grader to buy her Halloween costume. Her choices? Slutty vampire, slutty Little Red Riding Hood, slutty GI Jane, slutty Leprechaun (that one came with "kiss my pot of gold" panties), slutty--well, you get the idea.

I couldn't help but feel grateful for the one little gem that arrived in my mailbox this week:

Nothing Like You by Lauren Stasnick
A seventeen-year-old grieving the loss of her Mom lets a one night stand become an ongoing thing.

I loved this book. I'm grateful for this book. Lately, I've been disheartened to read some beautifully written YA novels that treat loss of virginity with the same emotional resonance as wart removal. Better just get rid of it!

I don't want those kinds of sexual relationships for my daughters. The stakes are simply too high--pregnancy, diseases (rates are skyrocketing according my pediatrician friends), and the emotional consequences (my mom's a psychologist with a client list full of teenage girls). I want my daughters to find old fashioned true love.

So I can talk--blah, blah, blah--forever about making good choices. But Lauren does it without preaching. Readers will love Holly and feel all that pain along with her. I can't wait to hand this one to my daughter--who would have looked way too good in that slutty Leprechaun costume, by the way (after much searching, she found something that will cover her upper thighs). My mom is already planning to lend copies to her teenage clients (many of whom have gotten themselves into Holly's situation).

Hope you check it out too!

Much thanks to The Story Siren and Alea The Pop Culture Junkie for the this weekly feature.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh! I'm a fifteen year old girl and I hate those slutty costumes. I mean, sure, if you got it flaunt it but don't give it away, right? This sounds like a good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Nothing Like You. I plan on reading it this month! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds Great. I really want to read this book, thank you for the heads up on its awesomness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an interesting book, and I agree, the idea of a slutty leprechaun (or slutty much of anything else, really) kind of squicks me out too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo