Sunday, October 18, 2009

In My Mailbox (10)

I found myself in need of creative inspiration this week. Starting a new novel is so scary when you have books on the shelves getting public comments... And I've had trouble shutting out all that noise in my head.

So here's what arrived in the mail:

Art & Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland
This book "explores the way art gets made, the reasons it often doesn't get made, and the nature of the difficulties that cause so many artists to give up along the way."

Why I'm excited:
A fellow 2k9 classmate recommended this one & it really helped remind me what's important: the writing.


Twyla Tharp: The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp
A book about developing creative habits by a renowned choreographer.

Why I'm excited:
I bought this one with the "buy them both" button on Amazon. Okay, so maybe my love for So You Think You Can Dance has interested me in a dancer's point of view. She's already convinced me to start getting up earlier to exercise first thing in the morning, so that's a good thing, right?

Much thanks to The Story Siren and Alea The Pop Culture Junkie for the this weekly feature.

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of either of them, but I hope you enjoy them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting reads you have here! I havent heard of them either. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you were here to get me up and exercising in the morning!! ;) Both books sound great, and I'm really dreading the day when the 'comments' start coming in for Invisible Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I slept in this morning! But I do totally recommend the Art & Fear book when you start writing again after publishing. Really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i got the twyla tharp book from the library recently and found it helpful in so many ways!

    sometimes books about creativity worry me because as i read them, i realize i am not being creative. i think, perhaps, i should just put the book down and go be creative...but The Creative Habit seemed well worth the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo