Saturday, October 3, 2009

Guest Nose Pam Bachorz

Today it's my pleasure to welcome Pam Bachorz, debut author of Candor. I really enjoyed reading this one--and highly recommend it!

A quick reminder: You can still enter to win chocolate! Now here's Pam:

In CANDOR, everybody looks the same, adhering to a squeaky-clean ideal of beauty. So I'll tell you a story from my own life.

Two days before my college senior picture was going to be taken, I noticed I had very obvious roots showing from the blond highlights I'd gotten months before. Horrified, but broke, I picked up a five dollar highlights kit at CVS. Then I pressed my boyfriend into service: I put on the little plastic cap and he poked the long wire that comes w/ the kit into it, pulling out strands of hair, and then soaking them in color. The scalp-poking part hurt but I figured it was all in the name of beauty. Neither of us had ever colored hair before and we were feeling pretty clever. Well, neither of us read the instructions very well either. We should have done the roots separately from the already-dyed parts, but we didn't. When I went to wash the dye off, big hanks of my hair had turned WHITE. Other parts were merely a bright yellow. After tears and my boyfriend's mix of laughter and apologies, I plunked down $150 to have it fixed. You've heard of double and triple process dye jobs? Yeah, mine was SEVEN PROCESSES. I think the hairdresser normally charged a lot more for a job like that, but he felt really, really bad for me.

As for that boyfriend, I ended up marrying him, but I've never let him color my hair again!

About Candor

Oscar Banks has everything under control. In a town where his father brainwashes everyone, he’s found a way to secretly fight the subliminal Messages. He’s got them all fooled: Oscar’s the top student and the best-behaved teen in town. Nobody knows he’s made his own Messages to deprogram his brain. But then Nia Silva moves to Candor, and Oscar falls in love. He must choose whether to let Nia be lost to brainwashing—or to sacrifice himself. Buy the book on Amazon or Indiebound.

About Pam Bachorz

Pam Bachorz grew up in a small town in the Adirondack foothills, where she participated in every possible performance group and assiduously avoided any threat of athletic activity. Pam attended college in Boston and finally decided she was finished after earning four degrees. Her mother is not happy that Pam’s degrees are stored under her bed.

Pam lives just outside Washington, DC with her husband and their son. She likes to read books not aimed at her age group, go to museums and theater performances, and watch far too much television. She even goes jogging. Reluctantly. Read more about Pam here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo