Sunday, September 20, 2009

In My Mailbox (6)

Much thanks to The Story Siren and Alea The Pop Culture Junkie for the this weekly feature.

In My Mailbox:

Shine, Coconut Moon by Neesha Meminger
An Indian-American teen coming to terms with her family heritage in the weeks following 9/11

Why I'm excited:
About 25 pages in, I already decided that I needed to buy a copy for my daughter's English teacher, her school library, etc. Not only is this story beautifully written, it is important. It's also a 2009 Debutante book!

Bought (I showed some restraint this week):

An Off Year by Claire Zukey
From the inside jacket: "After a lifetime of following the rules, Cecily Powell surprises everyone by arriving for her freshman year of college...and turning around."

Why I'm Excited:
I'll admit that I mostly bought this book for shallow reasons: I couldn't resist the cover! Bunny slippers! Pink shag carpeting. I'm in! (The story sounds good too.)



7 comments:

  1. I'm hearing a lot of buzz of about Shine, Coconut Moon. I usually stick to sci-fi / fantasy books, but I definitely need to find out more about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books, Sydney! Shine, Cocnut Moon looks really good. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Off Year looks cute. On a semi-related note, I need a pair of bunny slippers...but have never been able to find any! The ones on the cover are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those slippers are SO cute, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shine, Coconut Moon was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great books you got this week. They both look really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read and liked An Off Year and I hope you will too. And I agree about the slippers, they're just too cute!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo