Monday, September 14, 2009

Feeding Creativity

I love going to concerts with my husband, even though I can rarely name a band's song titles & I'm often saying, "Oh, I didn't know they sang this."

First, the people watching is tremendous--my imagination could never have conjured up the kid holding a tube of cherry Chapstick in his gage hole. I also enjoy all the outfits--and how differently people dress at concerts in Salt Lake City versus Seattle, LA, or New York (my husband seriously lives for concerts).

When the lights dim and the band hits the stage, I absolutely feast on the creative energy. I lose myself in the music and my mind makes surprising connections--with my writing. A few years ago, I was struggling with the structure of a novel, but the outline came to me during a Prince concert. I saw the whole novel while Prince went crazy with a long improvised song.

So last night I went to a Yeah Yeah Yeahs show (with Yacht opening). I felt extremely rebellious because the venue's security staff confiscated my special book signing pens at the door, fearing I would write on the walls. Never before had I experienced a stronger urge to write bathroom stall poetry. If they were going to treat me like a toddler, I was going to act like one! Talk about getting in touch with my inner teenager...

Fortunately for In The Venue's bathroom stalls--I had a rogue pen in my bag--Karen O puts on such an energetic show that I didn't want to miss a minute. Here's a bootleg clip (I was in total rebel mode) for your enjoyment. Of course, I have no idea what this song is called...


video

1 comment:

  1. It's been ages since I attended a live music event. Your post reminded me I need to so that!

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo