Sunday, August 23, 2009

In My Mailbox (3)

Okay, here's the post-SCBWI Conference version--much abridged--but if you want an idea of how many books I really acquired you can see a photo of me on the SCBWI blog here. (Much thanks to The Story Siren and Alea The Pop Culture Junkie for the this weekly feature.)

In My Mailbox:

Donut Days by Lara Zielin.
Emma's parents are pastors enmeshed in troubles with their church. Emma who naturally questions things suffers through friendship loss, questions about her future, all in the unique setting of a Crispy Dream donut camp (people who gather before a store opening).

Why I'm excited:
I read this as part of the 2009 Debutante ARC Swap and couldn't put it down--even to take a shower. This book would be fun to discuss in a book club, especially paired with Evolution, Me, & Other Freaks of Nature by Robin Brande.

Signed (a mere selection of the books purchased--some were gifts):

Down Sand Mountain by Steve Watkins
A historical novel (1960s) about an underdog determined to start 7th grade right.

Why I'm excited:
This book won the Golden Kite Award and I've loved all the winners I've read in past years. Plus, Steve gave a really funny and charming acceptance speech at the conference luncheon.

The ABC's of Kissing Boys by Tina Ferraro
About a soccer player whose life turns upside down and she attempts a kissing booth stunt.

Why I'm excited:
I'm a big Tina Ferraro fan and just hadn't gotten to this one--so I happily picked it up at the SCBWI ProTrack book sale. Yay!

Absolutely Maybe by Lisa Yee
About a girl who runs off to Hollywood.

Why I'm excited:
I've loved Lisa Yee's work (Milicent Min, Girl Genius) from the beginning. I once got lucky enough to have her critique one of my stories at SCBWI a couple of years ago and she's as wonderful in person as her writing. I can't wait to read her first YA.

Haunted The Ghost on The Stairs by Chris Eboch
Jon and Tania tag along with their mom and stepdad who produce a ghost hunter TV series. And Tania starts to see ghosts!

Why I'm excited:
Chris is one of my favorite SCBWI Regional Advisor friends. I'm also excited because I'm always looking for good books for my daughter--and this fast-paced book will delight her.

Found:

By The Time You Read This I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters (an ARC)
Looks like it's about a girl who is determined to commit suicide.

Why I'm excited:
The morning after the conference, I stopped for tea at the hotel Starbucks and saw this ARC sitting all by itself on a nearby table. None of the business types there to attend the next conference seems interested, so I snagged it like a lucky penny.

Okay, I'm making myself another cup of tea and then I'll be off and reading again.

6 comments:

  1. Nice books. Happy Reading!


    Peace
    Michelle (http://windowpane-memoirs.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ABC's is just as brilliant as her other books. Hope you enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The abc's of Kissing Boys is so cute! Happy Reading!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, sounds like I should move ABC's to the top of my stack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great books you got this week. Quite a few of them sound really good. Hope you enjoy reading all your books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Donut Days. I hope you enjoy it too. Have fun reading all the books~! :)

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo