Sunday, July 19, 2009

In My Mailbox (1)


I love seeing what everyone is reading, so I've joined The Story Siren and Alea The Pop Culture Junkie for this weekly feature. Though it might be more accurately called What's In My To-Read Stack.

Actually In my mailbox:


The Ring by Bobbie Pyron (Westside Books, September 28, 2009)
A troubled girl learns to believe in herself through the sport of boxing.

Why I'm excited:
Three years ago, Bobbie brought The Ring manuscript to a writing workshop I attended. And I brought my Jungle Crossing manuscript. Neither of us seemed to particularly "wow" the guest editor. But now both books are going to be published--on the same day!

Bought Books:

Secrets of Truth and Beauty by Megan Frazer (Hyperion)
About a child beauty queen who's not so beauty pagentish at seventeen. Plus the cover copy promises romance, friendship, revelations, and another beauty pagent.

Why I'm excited:
I really enjoy books about body issues/beauty issues and I've been looking forward to this one. Plus, she's one of my 2009 Debutante friends.

The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading by Charity Tahmaseb and Darcy Vance (Simon Pulse)
A self-proclaimed geek girl makes the varsity cheerleading squad.

Why I'm excited:
The title is fabulous. I'm also always curious about collaborative writing efforts (I've never tried it). And then there's that 2009 Debutante thing.

The Library:

I thought I'd returned all my library books last week. But I found a stray Sisters Grimm book in my daughter's room. I will owe fines. Again. Sigh.

Okay, I've got some reading to do!

4 comments:

  1. Lol The Geek Girls Guide to Cheerleading looks so cute! Have a great reading week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Secrets of Truth and Beauty looks really good (it reminds me of that new show on TLC that documents little kids who are in beauty pagents). Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of The Geek Girls Guide to Cheerleading. It sounds so cute! Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for your first In My Mailbox post :)
    I hope you enjoy all the books you got.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo