Monday, June 8, 2009

On The Radio


I woke up early this morning, exercised, ate my Cheerios, and primped--for my very first radio interview. I know, I know I could've done it in my pajamas, but I felt really nervous--about my nose. Crazy, huh? No one sees you on the radio. 

Blame it on a Seattle DJ. 

Back when my husband (then boyfriend) was a ramen-eating grad student, he supplemented his non-existent income by winning radio contests. He won concert tickets, CDs, and lots of cash. Every day he called into the "Use Your Noodle" contest on KXRX. He's a smart guy with a great memory and probably played too many hours of Trivial Pursuit, but it paid off in radio contest wins. 


But they wouldn't let him win every day or even every week. So he'd make me call in. 

DJs have to be funny. I understand that. And the easiest way to be funny: make fun of someone else. 

I don't remember the Use Your Noodle question. I don't even remember if I got it right. All I remember is the witty female DJ laughing about my voice and saying something about "nose timber." Now she might have meant "timbre" (the sound or quality of a voice). But I envisioned my nose stuffed with Giant Redwood trees. 

My Big Huge Nose stuffed with the world's largest trees and making me sound really, really, really bad on the radio.


And it has stuck with me all these years. It didn't help that I woke up sniffling with allergies this morning. Nose Timber!!! But I have to say that the radio interview turned out to be fun. I love to talk about writing. And Rachel Hanel at KMSU in Mankato, Minnesota conducts a very nice (and friendly) interview. 

Now that I've taken an axe to my fear of nose timber, I'm actually excited to do it again sometime.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Widget_logo