Friday, March 6, 2009

Guest Nose: Cynthea Liu




If you want to get an Asian talking about her nose, you've asked the right person. Though I'll say in The Great Call Of China, Cece's nose isn't her issue. She's got other things to worry about like connecting with her birth parents. So all the nose-talk, if there had been any, would have been reserved for the special uncut scenes!

But for me as an author, with a very flat nose, I can tell you some funny stories about how I feel about my nose or lack thereof.

First, a lot of glasses in the U.S. are not made for Chinese people. Eyewear designers assume everyone here has a decent nose bridge to prop the glasses up. Me? If I cry, a tear can roll horizontally across my nose to the other side. That's how flat it is. So eyewear people, please make a version of your glasses with nose-pads, thank you!

Also as a kid, I remember my cousins telling me I should pinch the skin between my eyes on a regular basis to help the nose grow there. WHATEVER! We knew that was a joke, but seriously, we were all probably pinching away at our faces in a closet somewhere, hoping it was true!

Anyway, I could go on and on about my nose, like how I used to shade in the space between my eyes in pictures so it would look like I actually have a nose. And don't get me started on my eyes!

About The Great Call of China
Chinese-born Cece was adopted when she was two years old by her American parents. Living in Texas, she's bored of her ho-hum high school and dull job. So when she learns about the S.A.S.S. program to Xi'an, China, she jumps at the chance. She'll be able to learn about her passion--anthropology--and it will give her the opportunity to explore her roots. But when she arrives, she receives quite a culture shock. And the closer she comes to finding out about her birth parents, the more apprehensive she gets. Enter Will, the cute guy she first meets on the plane. He and Cece really connect during the program. But can he help her get accustomed to a culture she should already know about, or will she leave China without the answers she's been looking for? Buy your own copy here!

About Cynthea Liu
Cynthea spent her formative years in Oklahoma and Texas where she was a Whiz Quiz member, an Academic Decathloner, and a spelling bee champion. (Yes, she was very popular.) After attending college on the East coast, she worked at a corporate job where she mastered PowerPoint and racked up thousands of frequent flyer miles. Eventually, she traded in her suit for sweats to do the fun stuff--writing for children. In addition to The Great Call of China and Paris Pan Takes The Dare, Cynthea's nonfiction book Writing For Children And Teens: A Crash Course (how to write, revise, and publish your kid's or teen book with children's book publishers) is available in paperback. Read more about Cynthea at www.cynthealiu.com.


2 comments:

  1. Love Cynthea Liu! Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for spreading the word, Sydney! (Well, not about my crazy nose-antics, but about the book! :)

    Great idea for a blog topic.

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo