Tuesday, January 6, 2009

On A Seattle Bus Part One

One day, not nearly long enough ago, my brother called me to say that a friend of his had seen "his sister" on the bus. This girl had never met me or even seen a photograph, but she knew that I lived in Seattle, along with, you know, more than half-a-million other people. And she'd recognized our family resemblance on a crowded city bus.

It was me. I did exit on Broadway. I was wearing a purple sweater.

But do I really look that much like my brother? I'm almost five years older. His hair is blond, while mine, especially when I lived in Seattle, is more brownish. Our eyes are different shades of blue. But the main thing--he's a foot taller than me, as in a dozen inches. Tall and thin to my short and curvy. So how did this stranger know that I was my brother's sister?

It had to be the nose.


1 comment:

  1. You know, Sydney, I've met you...I don't know, like three times now. And I have never, ever noticed your nose. Maybe it's bigger to you than anyone else??

    ReplyDelete

Widget_logo